The SOM Dean's Office provides a limited amount of secure data storage for all SOM departments. This data is backed up nightly and secured using folder permissions. When logging onto a SOMTech-supported Windows computer, users will be given a T: drive (Share drive) which houses department-shared data and a U: drive (Home drive) which is data that is not shared with other users.
If for some reason, on a SOM-supported Windows computer, the SOM Shares do not map automatically when you login - use the instructions below to manually map the drives.
If you are working from a personal computer - contact SOMTech and we can investigate configuring remote access to a SOM computer to ensure data security.
For Windows 10 PCs, please follow these steps to establish a connection:
- Click the Start button.
- Begin typing This PC and wait for the results
(NOTE: If manually mapping on a VCU Health computer - it may rename This PC to match your VCU Health username, look for the icon on your desktop instead)
- Within This PC, select the Computer tab and then choose Map network drive from the toolbar. This will open the Map Network Drive window.
- Select an unused drive letter from the Drive: dropdown menu.
Enter the following folder in the Folder field: \\rams.adp.vcu.edu\som\
Check the box to Connect using different credentials.
Click the Finish button.
- When prompted for your login credentials, enter your eID and eID password.
(if you're on a VCU Health computer, then you will likely need to enter your eID as such: RAMS\<eIDHere>
- After submitting your credentials, a drive which contains both department share folders and your home folder will be mapped.
For Macs, please follow these steps to establish a connection:
- Open Finder.
- Within the top menu bar, click on the Go dropdown.
- From the Go menu, select Connect to Server.... (or press Cmd + K)
- In the Server Address field, enter the following paths, substituting
DEPT with the department name listed in the list below and
eID with your eID.
Click the plus sign (+) after entering each address to save them to the Favorite Servers section.
Highlight the server that you want to connect to and click the Connect button.When prompted for your login credentials, enter your eID and eID password (In certain circumstances, you may need to precede your eID with RAMS\, like RAMS\eID).You should now see shortcuts to the file shares on the desktop.
Department Folder Names
Use the department/division folder names below when manually connecting to the file shares from a Mac.
- Addiction Psych
- Anatomy Pictures
- Deans Office
- Emergency Medicine
- Health Disparities
- Health Innovation
- Health Behavior and Policy
- IM Administration
- IM Cardiology
- IM Endocrinology
- IM Family Medicine
- IM Gastroenterology
- IM General Medicine
- IM Geriatrics
- IM Hematology Oncology
- IM HIV AIDS Center
- IM Infectious Diseases
- IM Nephrology
- IM Neurology
- IM OEA
- IM Psychiatry
- IM Pulmonary
- IM Quality Health
- IM RAI
- Microbiology and Immunology
- Parkinson Clinic
- Physiology and Biophysics
SBH HIPAA Social and Behavioral Health
- Technology Services
- Womens Health Institute