Thank you to everyone who participated in the Best Practices while Teleworking survey.
It was great hearing from you, and we are excited to share some of the responses we received. Hope you enjoy them as much as we did!
Here are so tips and best practices for working remotely:
- Have a designated workspace (especially one not close to the refrigerator) and set a mandatory time you will sign off each day.
- Create a to-do list for each day to help stay focused.
- Get an early start!
- Don't forget to communicate with your co-workers, even if just to say hi!
- Mastering the ins and outs of Zoom meetings.
- Get some sun, open up windows, blinds, take a quick walk during your break.
- Focus on one task at a time and see it through.
- Make sure everyone else knows your schedule so that they aren't calling or texting you "after hours."
- My top tip would be to start the day as if I would be going in the office, shower, dress, coffee or tea to help get my day started.
- Keep workspace separate from your life space, if possible! Really helps with boundaries to be able to set work aside at the end of the day by leaving the room.
- Discipline yourself to balance work and family life.
- Enjoy the change!
- Be flexible. Since the teleworking day allows for flexibility, (get the job done) but your activities do not have to mirror each other over the 40 hour work week. This helps me from getting burned-out.
- Set a regular schedule.
Number 1 challenge: Setting Boundaries
Here's how the community has been having fun while teleworking, and some things they appreciate the most!
- The commute, freedom to multitask.
- I love being able to cook at lunch time! Really helps break the day up and destress.
- I have enjoyed being home when my Amazon packages arrive!
- Feel safe from the virus. Have family walks after work.
- Very thankful to have a job! Many people have jobs which cannot be done at home. My two little dogs have been my accounting assistants, and they keep me smiling when I begin to feel blue from isolation!
- Playing golf has been one of stress reliefs.
- I absolutely love it! I feel safe at home during COVID and still remain connected to my co-workers. It has been a blessing on so many levels.
- I can play music, don't need to leave the house for food, my dogs love me being home with them all day!
- Not commuting has been the most appreciated thing about teleworking
- Wearing shorts & a tshirt, making the best use of my body's most productive times!
- The flexibility and saving gas money
- Being able to be home for my daughter as it's hard to have find child care.
- I am appreciative to know that I can perform my required work duties as a telework hybrid employee.
- I have figured out gratitude, but I have not figured out fun yet.
On September 3, 2020 at 12 PM, the leadership team for the Finance and Procurement Services Career Community had their first event! This event was held to introduce the leadership team to the members finance and procurement services career community. Included in the introduction was a quick overview of the team's overall goals for this year, as well as connecting, learning, and mentoring goals. After the introductions, a quick survey was sent out to connect with the career community and gather input for future events.
Below is a recording of those introductions, as well as a link to the survey.
Be on the lookout for the results of the teleworking survey and for future events!
Link to: Introductions and Q&A
Link to survey: FPSCC: Best Practices while Teleworking