Last updated: December 2020
Cost share commitments in the School of Medicine (SOM) are funded in two ways:
- Cost share commitments funded by SOM
- Cost share commitments funded by Departments
This document outlines the different types of cost share commitments, the party (SOM or Department) responsible for funding each, and when school-level approvals are required for department funded commitments.
Cost Share Commitments Funded by the School of Medicine
SOM will provide salary cap cost share funding for all M.D. Clinical Faculty for all sponsor imposed salary limitations. Examples include:
- Salary restriction on Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) award mechanisms that impose a salary cap equivalent to the Federal Executive Level II pay scale.
- Other sponsor salary restrictions documented in sponsor award guidelines, such as: Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Michael J. Fox Foundation, Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI), etc.
SOM salary cap cost share for M.D. Clinical Faculty is provided for both direct and flow-thru sponsored awards with salary limitations imposed by the originating sponsor.
SOM salary cap cost share is provided for the effort level committed in the sponsor proposal/award or the actual effort charged to the project, whichever is lower. Funds are allocated as a separate budget allocation during the second half of a fiscal year.
NOTE: Effective with new grants beginning after January 14th, 2021, SOM provides departments with 4-ledger funding for this type of cost share. You must request a 4-ledger cost share index for M.D. Clinical Faculty salary cap cost share when setting up a new grant.
Cost Share Commitments Funded by Department Resources:
SOM Department resources provide cost share funding for the following types of cost share commitments without any advance approval by SOM:
- For Teaching and Research and non-M.D. Clinical Faculty: All DHHS or other sponsor salary cap cost share is expected to be funded from the base E&G allocation provided to departments by SOM on a fiscal year basis or other department resources as available/appropriate.
- For M.D. Clinical Faculty: any DHHS or other sponsor salary cap cost share associated with an election to devote a larger than originally committed amount of effort to a given project, unless advanced approval by SOM was received.
- Any other program mandated salary or trainee funding cap, unless advanced approval by SOM was received. Examples include:
- K award mechanisms requiring minimum effort levels and funding level caps.
- Sponsor imposed student stipend or tuition caps below our internal rates/standards.
- Programs that require matching funds or any other mandatory cost share requirement.
SOM Departments will provide funding for voluntary cost share when approved in advance by SOM:
- All Faculty Types: Voluntary use of the Federal Executive Level II pay scale salary limit for programs and/or sponsors that do not require it.
- Any other voluntary cost share commitments proposed, including cost sharing salaries when it is an allowable expense or cost sharing additional effort when there is no mandatory requirement to do so.
Requesting an Exception to Policy or Advance Approval for Department Voluntary Cost Share:
- Departments may submit to SOM an advance request to fund a cost share commitment typically expected to be funded by department resources.
- Departments must submit an advance request for SOM review and approval when a department intends to provide voluntary cost share on a project.
- See process details in: SOM Process for Cost Share Exceptions or Advanced Approval